If you’re an Oculus Quest owner, you may be wondering if you can play all Steam games on your device. The answer is not as straightforward as a simple “yes” or “no.” Let’s dive into the details.
The Oculus Quest is a standalone VR headset that runs on the Android operating system. On the other hand, Steam is a PC-based platform that offers a wide range of games for Windows, macOS, and Linux.
In general, games developed specifically for the Oculus Quest will work seamlessly on the device. However, games designed for other platforms may require additional steps to run on the Quest.
Using Link Cable
One way to play Steam games on your Oculus Quest is by using a Link Cable. This cable connects your headset to your PC and allows you to access PC-based VR experiences through the Oculus app.
To use Link Cable, you’ll need a gaming PC with at least an Intel i5-4590 or AMD Ryzen 5 1500X processor, an NVIDIA GTX 970 or AMD Radeon RX 480 graphics card (or better), and at least 8 GB of RAM. You’ll also need a compatible USB-C cable that’s at least three meters long.
If you have all the necessary equipment, here’s how to use Link Cable to play Steam games on your Oculus Quest:
- Connect one end of the USB-C cable to your headset and the other end to your PC.
- Put on your headset and click “Enable Oculus Link” in the prompt that appears.
- You should now see your PC’s desktop in VR. Open Steam and navigate to your desired game.
- Select “Play in VR” if available.
Using Third-Party Software
Another option to play Steam games on your Oculus Quest is by using third-party software. One popular tool is Virtual Desktop, which lets you stream PC VR games wirelessly to your headset.
To use Virtual Desktop, you’ll need a gaming PC with a compatible graphics card and a 5 GHz Wi-Fi network. You’ll also need to purchase and install the Virtual Desktop app on both your headset and your PC.
If you decide to use Virtual Desktop, here’s how to set it up:
- Connect your Quest to Wi-Fi and download the Virtual Desktop app from the Oculus Store.
- Download and install the Virtual Desktop Streamer app on your gaming PC.
- Launch the Streamer app on your PC and log in with your Oculus account.
- Launch the Virtual Desktop app on your Quest and connect it to your PC.
- You should now be able to access Steam games through the Virtual Desktop interface in VR.
While not all Steam games are playable on the Oculus Quest out of the box, there are ways to enjoy them through Link Cable or third-party software like Virtual Desktop. As always, be sure to check compatibility requirements before purchasing or attempting to play any game. With a little effort, you can expand your VR library beyond what’s available on the Oculus Store.