Nintendo Switch has been a popular gaming console since its release in March 2017. It offers versatility with both handheld and docked modes, making it a great option for gamers who love to play on the go.
One of the features that sets Nintendo Switch apart from other consoles is its ability to use SD cards for additional storage. But can you play Switch games directly from an SD card? Let’s delve into this topic further.
What is an SD card?
An SD (Secure Digital) card is a type of memory card that is commonly used in digital cameras, smartphones, and other portable devices. It provides additional storage capacity to the device it is used with. The Nintendo Switch also supports the use of microSD cards for additional storage.
Can you store Switch games on an SD card?
Yes, you can store Switch games on an SD card. The Nintendo Switch has a limited amount of internal storage (32GB), which can quickly get filled up by game downloads and updates. By using an SD card, you can expand your storage space and have more room for your games.
Can you play Switch games directly from an SD card?
The answer to this question is both yes and no. You can store Switch games on an SD card, but you cannot play them directly from the SD card. In order to play a game, it must be installed onto the internal storage or system memory of the Nintendo Switch.
How to transfer games from an SD card to internal storage
To transfer a game from your SD card to the internal storage of your Nintendo Switch follow these simple steps:
- Insert the microSD or full-sized SDXC memory card into your computer.
- Create a folder named “Nintendo” at the root directory of your memory card.
- Inside the Nintendo folder, create another folder named “Switch”.
- Copy the entire game folder from your computer to the “Switch” folder on your memory card.
- Insert the memory card back into your Nintendo Switch.
- Select System Settings from the Home screen on your Nintendo Switch.
- Select Data Management > Move Data Between System / microSD Card > Move to System Memory.
Benefits of using an SD card for Switch games
Using an SD card for Nintendo Switch games has several benefits. Here are a few:
- You can store more games on your Nintendo Switch by using an SD card for additional storage.
- You can easily transfer games between consoles by moving your SD card from one console to another.
- You can keep important files and documents separate from your games by using a separate SD card for game storage.
While you cannot play Switch games directly from an SD card, using one for additional storage is a great way to expand your game library. With their small size and portability, SD cards are a convenient way to store and transfer your favorite games between consoles. So, go ahead and invest in an SD card if you haven’t already!