If you’re planning to buy a Valve Index VR headset, one of the questions that might come to your mind is whether the base stations connect to your PC or not. The answer is a definite yes. In fact, the base stations are an essential component of the Valve Index setup.
What are Base Stations?
Before we dive into how they connect to your PC, let’s first understand what base stations are and what their purpose is. Base stations are small devices that emit infrared laser beams that sweep across the room.
These lasers sweep at a rapid pace and reflect off any surface they hit, including your headset and controllers. This allows the system to track your movements accurately in 3D space.
How Many Base Stations Do You Need?
For optimal tracking performance, you need at least two base stations placed diagonally opposite each other in your play area. Valve recommends placing them at a height of around 6.5 feet and angling them downward by 30-45 degrees for best results.
Connecting Base Stations to Your PC
Now comes the crucial part – how do you connect these base stations to your PC? The good news is that it’s relatively simple.
Valve Index base stations use a technology called SteamVR Tracking that communicates wirelessly with your headset via Bluetooth. However, you still need to connect them physically to your PC via an AC power outlet using their power adapters.
- Unpack both base station units and their power adapters.
- Find a suitable location for each base station in opposite corners of your play area.
- Connect each power adapter to its respective unit.
- Plug both power adapters into separate AC outlets.
- Turn on both base station units using their power buttons.
- Launch SteamVR on your PC and go to Settings > Devices > Base Station Settings.
- In Base Station Settings, you can check the status of each base station and pair them with your headset using Bluetooth.
In summary, Valve Index base stations do connect to your PC via power adapters. These small but essential devices enable accurate 3D tracking of your headset and controllers in your play area.
By following the simple steps outlined above, you’ll be up and running in no time. Happy gaming!